The most popular study abroad country for international students is the USA. In the United States, academic institutions provide courses in three different intakes each year:
- Spring, or January intake
- Summer, or May intake
- Fall, or September intake
Students can choose from any intake in the USA to pursue an undergraduate, graduate, or doctorate program. Consider the program’s availability, past academic standing, acceptance rates, results of entrance exams, etc. when selecting the intake. To assist making an informed choice, this blog details each intake, including advantages, scholarships, and application dates.
Intakes available in USA:
In the USA, there are three intakes that don’t change during the academic year. Some academic institutes refer to intakes as “terms.” The table below lists the three intakes that US institutions offers:
|Timeline of the Application
|Summer/ May intake
|Fall /Autumn or September intake
It is advised to apply as soon as possible because each intake has application deadlines a few months prior to the start date. Keep in mind that admissions differ according to the universities and the course of study.
Let’s now examine each intake in further depth.
Spring Intakes in USA:
In the USA, the spring intake runs from January to May. It runs for five months, or twenty-two weeks, a year. The second favored intake in the USA is the spring intake, often known as the January intake.
Advantages of spring intake:
- The increased likelihood of university admissions for students is the main advantage of spring intake in the US.
- Applicants can enroll in the January/Spring intake if they are unable to make it to the September/Fall intake.
- This spring semester, there are numerous 1- or 2-year diploma programs as well as scholarships available.
- Students benefiting from extra departmental staff support throughout this January intake.
- There are more internship and part-time employment options accessible.
- Non-native English speakers can attend this session with more time to prepare for the GRE, TOEFL, or IELTS.
- Prospective students can apply for this January intake and schedule their higher education up to six months in advance.
- The application and visa processing times are shortened because there is less competition for the Spring intake.
Summer Intake in USA:
In the United States, summer intake runs from May through August. It runs for four months, or twenty weeks a year. The summer intake, sometimes referred to as the May intake, is the shortest intake, with only a small number of American universities accepting applications.
Advantages of Summer Intake:
- Most applications from students who missed the fall and spring semesters are accepted, which is the main advantage of summer intake in the US.
- Many of the programs for May intake are in language and culture.
- Some two- or three-month language programs are designed to help non-native English speakers.
- Students who want to pursue an MBA or MSc must apply during the following academic year’s intake.
- The summer semester also has the benefit of fewer competition.
- In comparison to the other intakes, the summer intake offers less benefits overall.
Fall Intake in the USA:
In the United States, the fall intake lasts from September through December. It has a four-month timetable, or eighteen weeks annually. The main and most common intake in the United States of America is the fall intake, often known as the September intake or the Autumn intake.
Advantages of Fall Intake:
- In the USA, fall entry is thought to offer the most courses and scholarships.
- The academic year begins with the fall intake. For this reason, many students—particularly those from India—apply to master’s and doctoral programs during the fall (September) term.
- There will be more career opportunities starting in September, both on and off campus.
- There are extracurricular and sports options for this fall intake.
- The initial class of undergraduate students is enrolled in nearly all US universities.
- During fall intake, there are more research and teaching positions available.
- Nearly all students who enroll in fall sessions become extremely employable and competitive.
- During the university’s placement drive, students in the fall semester receive more employment offers.
- Financial assistance and funding are readily accessible for the September intake in the United States.
List of Universities in the USA:
|Florida International University
|Kaplan PACE University
|INTO Drew University
|Arizona State University
|Kaplan Northeastern University
|Full Sail University
|New York Film University
|Saint Louis University
|St. Norbert College
|University of California Irvine
|University of Pennsylvania
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Timing for USA Intake Applications:
Regardless of the intake, the general guideline for students beginning their application process is to ensure that their visa, supporting documentation, and English test results are ready. Follow the timeframe used for all:
- Applications for intake typically open by the middle of December or the beginning of January each year. Thus, in June or July, get ready for English proficiency exams, necessary documents, and visa interview.
- Students can apply for financial aid, such as merit scholarships or student loans, by the end of October or early September, provided by US colleges and the courses they offer for the spring semester.
- Apply with the necessary paperwork by the end of November or the beginning of December, when applications are open.
- Attend the in-person or video interview and promptly reply to correspondence from colleges.
- Depending on admission, apply for a USA student visa and do well in the interview.
- Purchase airline tickets.
- Get a credit or debit card that is accepted everywhere.
- Ultimately, prepare your belongings, review the pre-departure checklist, and travel to location between January and May.
Also Read: Top Courses to study in the USA
Students must be aware of the necessary documentation for all programs and levels of admission to US universities. The list of documents required for university admission is provided below; it applies to all intakes in the USA:
- Academic records from the previous year’s qualifying exam
- Official 10th and 12th grade transcripts
- Official UG/PG marksheets
- Provisional diplomas
- SAT, GMAT, or GRE results-
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- A current CV or resume; two or three letters of recommendation (LORs)
- Valid passport
- Results from Duolingo, PTE, TOEFL, or IELTS
- Passport-size pictures
Students must be aware of the following three “intakes in USA”: Spring or January , Summer or May, and Fall or September intake. For a seamless application process, the US educational system uses a batch-wise intake method three times a year. It makes studying in the USA possible for both domestic and foreign students.
Q1. For the USA, which intake is ideal?
Ans: The Fall or September admission is the greatest among all US intakes in terms of the number of courses and student subsidies available. September is the beginning and December is the finish. Fall intake will be taken by students who were not enrolled in the spring or summer sessions.
Q2. Which three intakes are there in the USA?
Ans: In USA 2024–2025, there will be three intakes:
- Autumn/September intake: September to December is the length of the academic year.
- January intake in the spring – January to May is the length of the academic year. The finest intake is available for prominent programs including the MBA, MS, and MA.
- Summer (May) intake: May to August is the academic term (limited programs and colleges offered).
Q3. What is the USA term for the January 2023 intake?
Ans: Another name for the January intake is the Spring intake. In terms of international student intake, it is the second most popular. Every year, this January intake begins in December or early January.
Q4. Which American intake is ideal for MS?
Ans: In the USA, fall intake is ideal for MS patients. The processing of applications by US institutions takes approximately eight to ten weeks. Regretfully, not every American university or institution offers MS courses.
Q5. When is the deadline for the January intake applications?
Ans: Applicants must apply between June and September to be considered for the US intake in January. Those who were not able to apply for this year’s fall admission may do for the January intake.